Sunday, February 5, 2012

Adventures in the land of TATAs and Woohoos

Finally a day off from work and it's time to explore the city.  My roomie (Amy), our fellow friend (Deepti) and I started off the day with a nature walk in a local park.  Filled with peacocks and lots of other animals, we strolled through the landscape looking for good picture opportunities and the palace where the King of Hyderabad still lives (nice title but no power).  Although we weren't able to go on the palace grounds because it's private property,we did find lots of birds (unfortunately for Amy who is terrified of them!) and fun pics!

Amy and I continued our day with a LONG walk down to a local beauty parlor where I got my eyebrows threaded (it was a little more painful than I anticipated) for only 30 rupees (the current exchange rate is 50 rupees to 1 dollar).  That's right, I got my eyebrows threaded for about 60 cents!  I paid three times as much for the frozen coffee that I got across the street.

I don't think I've ever gotten as much attention as I do walking down the streets in India.  And it's not like I'm wearing shorts and a tank.  I'm dressed fairly conservatively in capris and a short sleeve blouse.  I think there's just not that many female frizzy haired Caucasians walking around India!  The little kids love us too.  We were bombarded by the kids in the sari store where I was trying to find an outfit for the wedding this weekend.  We had to keep stopping shopping because of the kids.  It was SO cute.  There of about 10 of them who would run up to us wanting to shake our hands and say "hello" and then run back giggling to the rest of the group.  And then run up again to tell us "bye."  I certainly felt a little bit like a celebrity.  Although it took all afternoon I did finally find a sari for the wedding.  I am so excited to get to wear it this weekend!  Luckily Amy was there to help me pick it out because there were literally thousands of saris just in this one shop.  So many choices (but most of them out of my price range!).

Since I've been unable to get onto facebook (other than a few minutes this afternoon when Deepti sweetly let me borrow her computer) I've been loading my pictures onto my picasa account.  If you'd like to see the full batch, just go to:
https://plus.google.com/photos/109695259305851757594/albums/5703126090858823377




No comments:

Post a Comment