Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Final Countdown

Sitting down after dinner talking to my grandmother on her 80th birthday (happy birthday Grandma!!) via skype, I realized how few days I have left in India.  Amy (who flies out on Thursday) and I are frantically trying to fit in the last few things we want to do/experience before we leave.  Tonight we finally made it down to Coco's, a roof side restaurant down the road with live music every night.  I actually tried an Indian version of Italian tonight, penne alfredo.  It was...ok.  A little spicier than I had expected, but I should be been expecting spicy.  The music was a largely disappointing version of some American songs.  I heard more "check check" and feedback than actual song, so we left not long after they started playing.  Before dinner Amy and I did some last minute shopping at a store down the road.  We are a good haggling team.  It was a fairly nice store at which hospital employees get a decent discount.  They initially told us it's a 30% discount but we said we had been told that it's actually 40% so the guy checked with the manager and we actually did get 40% off (it wasn't a lie, I was actually told 40%, I was just excited that we semi-haggled them down).

Tomorrow we are planning on going back to the marketplaces at Charminar.  Although there for a little bit on Sunday, it's the sort of place that you can spend all day without realizing it.  I'm hoping that it will be slightly less busy than it was on Sunday and that we won't attract as much attention as we did last time!

These are also my last few days to experience LVP (the hospital).  The past two days I've spent the morning interpreting for a Spanish speaking couple and the afternoons in the research facilities learning about all the laboratory research that occurs here.  The research facility takes up the 5th floor and desperately needs more space.  Apparently they are in the beginning stages of building a whole research facility.  Although, I've had very few clinical experiences with patients (only a few days in the OPDs and ORs), I've really enjoyed learning about the vast extent of LVP's work.  It is really quite impressive.

These are also the last few days of hard beds, squatting for showers, hospital food, and living out of a suitcase :). But sadly the last few days to spend with all the great new friends I've made during my time here.  Without my roomie, all the other international guests and the amazing short term fellows, I think this could have been a very lonely month.  But instead, I am always cracking up, enjoying great food and new experiences!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109695259305851757594/IndiaAnnaJones

No comments:

Post a Comment