Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kingfisher, Biryani, and Naan, O My!

Today was a fun day in the retina ORs.  It's nice being a student and getting to skip around to different ORs, watching whatever surgery interests me the most.  I split my time between the consultant (doctor) I was assigned to and the doctor that I spent the day with yesterday in the retina OPD (clinic).   My poor pronunciation abilities follows me and is even more pronounced in the Indian language.  Dr. Reddy, the consultant I worked with yesterday got a nice chuckle at my expense when I tried to pronounce the name of the consultant I was assigned to today, Dr. Padmaja.  Pronounced: Pad-Ma-Ja.  Only I pronounced it: Pad-Ma-Ha.  The Spanish pronunciation.  Which I guess makes sense because Spanish is the only language I know besides English.  It's almost as bad as Dad pronouncing Baja as: Ba-Ja.

Anyways, the day ended quite nicely as I walked across the street with Amy, Holly (two US ophthalmology residents) and Emma and Louise (two British volunteers here for a year) to the Blue Fox.  A yummy, not so expensive restaurant across the street from LVP.  I finally got my Kingfisher, which I hadn't had since my last trip to India.  It's basically like the Indian version of Budwiser, but I really like it.  We also got Biryani, which is the dish that Hyderabad is famous for.  It's basically long rice and some spices.  It was pretty good but I don't really have anything to compare it to.  And finally, my absolute favorite, naan.  The tastiest bread in the whole world.  There's nothing like some good butter or garlic naan.  My last trip to India (in the Himalayas) we had naan with pretty much every meal, but this was my first taste of naan this time.  Apparently it's more of a northern Indian dish.  Southern India eats a lot more rice, which explains why I eat rice and what looks like vegetable soup pretty much twice a day.

Tasty
Tomorrow I head out 5:30am for the 5 hour long car ride to Charita's home village where her grandparents still live.  I'm excited to get away from the hospital and explore a little bit, but am not excited about the 5:30am pick up.  I doubt I'll have internet in the village but should be able to get on the computer again when I get to Vijayawada on Saturday for the wedding...and there won't be any restrictions so I can actually get on facebook again.  It's funny, but that's one of the biggest complaints here at the hospital, the blockage of facebook!  At least I'm not the only one that's addicted!

1 comment:

  1. Know you are having fun. Finally found your blog! Sounds very interesting. Love you and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete