Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Bobble and The Waggle

I've been trying to incorporate the well know Indian head bobble into my everyday life.  When I first arrived three weeks ago I found that my neck was WAY too stiff for the ambiguous bobble.  My neck only turned from side to side (no) and up/down (yes).  Here, there is side to side (which actually means yes), up/down (which means no), and the famous bobble (still unable to interpret).  I've heard that you also have to watch the speed of the bobble and the facial expression for clues as to the meaning of the bobble.  But all my hard work of neck exercises and practice in the mirror (not really) has finally paid off.  According to my roomie, my bobble seems quite natural now.  I finally feel that I can leave India feeling that I have accomplished something ;)

I am also learning the waggle.  But, this is not an Indian expression.  No, this is straight from Rochester, NY.  Ok, practice with me: extend your arm, flex your wrist, make a fist and extend your index finger, now move it side to side while saying "no, no, no."  This is the expression my soon to be famous stand up comedian roomie is famous for.  Although no where near as good as she is, I practice every day.

We should get lots of practice with both expressions tomorrow as we are finally getting our tour of the city!  Ashik, a researcher here at LVPEI who has some projects in conjunction with UNC, is showing Amy, our friend Helen, and me around town.  We are starting out at Charminar (which literally means four towers) is an iconic structure here in Hyderabad.  It also happens to be surrounded by some famous markets which used to be known for pearls but now deals mainly in bangles and clothes.  Then, off to a nearby museum and palace and ending the day at Golconda Fort which, built in the 1500s, is one of the oldest, if not the oldest structure in Hyderabad.  Tomorrow should be a lot of fun but hot.  The high tomorrow is 97!  Time to break out that 55spf sun screen!!

Girls Night Out at the local mall.
From left to right: Farzana, Helen, Deepti, me, Amy, Desy



You Know

No comments:

Post a Comment