Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mission Not So Impossible

I think Amy and I are finally getting the hang of this whole experience.  We successfully retrieved our blouses and saris from the tailor (who did overcharge us just because we're not Indian) without getting too scammed by the autorickshaw drivers.  And thanks to Charita's auntie, I also have a pair of beautiful gold sandals to wear with the outfit. :)

Today was my second day in clinic and it lasted FOREVER.  We have lecture every morning from 7-8am, breakfast from 8-8:30 and then clinic until....  Today mine lasted until 7pm.  Well, at 7pm there were still 2 patients left and the attending and fellows walked off to somewhere I couldn't find.  I decided that my time would be better spent going to the tailor to pick up my sari than standing around for who knows how long.  Luckily I was in retina clinic today so even though it was really long, I enjoyed it and got to spend some valuable with the slit lamp and indirect.  I was surprised by how prevalent diabetes and hypertension is in the population.  It seemed that I saw almost as much diabetic retinopathy here as I do in clinics in the US.  Tomorrow is retina OR, which will be my first time in the ORs here.  Should be interesting.

But to keep my promise about learning Telugu together, here are the phrases for the past few days:
Feb 4th: Wooden stick or iron rod? - Karra thagilindaa lekepothe inapa kaddi thagilidaa? (seems like they deal with a lot of injuries here)
Feb 5th: How is your general health? - Mee aarogyam elaa untondi?
Feb 6th: Please read - Chadavandi (I kept cracking up when one of the residents in training would tell the patient to "read correctly" when s/he would miss a letter on the chart!)
Feb 7th: Do not worry - Emi parvaaledu

No comments:

Post a Comment