Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Gig

After a 6 1/2 hour trip (half of which was in the dark), I have arrived safely back in Hyderabad.  I thought that traveling during the day was stressful, but driving at night was terrifying.  Kumar (the driver) did a great job but there were lots of moments where I was holding my breath and/or grabbing onto the handle to keep from falling onto my seat mate.  Travel goes surprisingly well considering that pretty much all the roads we drove on (even the major ones) were under construction.  We literally just went back and forth from one side of the road to the other because of the detours where the road is still being constructed....not repaired, but constructed.

Despite spending my morning and early afternoon at a temple on a mountain that overlooks the city, I was still too excited about all the scenery to try to fall asleep on the trip back.  I was sad to leave Charita's family (whom I grew to love even over just a few short days) but I'm glad to be back in my own room, sharing my bed with just myself (and not two other people).  I'm so thankful for the fun break from the work at the hospital.  I would have been very disappointed if I had not had the opportunity to play and sight see and little bit while here.  Speaking of work, it's after midnight so I should probably get to sleep so I can get up and wash my clothes before heading to the OR tomorrow.  Another day in retina.  Yay.
5am Sunday morning.  Getting ready for the morning blessing ceremony at the bride's house.

Me with some of Charita's family at the blessing ceremony Sunday morning.  In order from left to right: Grandma, me, auntie, grandfather, cousin, uncle.  I'd list the names but I'd completely butcher it since I only heard them, never saw them written.

The mighty warrior with her weapon.  Many mosquitoes  met their maker  after meeting my quick hand of death

At the temple this morning.  Again, not sure how to spell the name of the goddess.  The temple was impressive.  Behind me, the top of the temple is made of gold.  The temple itself is on a mountain that looks out over the city.

1 comment: